Lesson Plans for Resource Math 8
Students will respond to a writing prompt: "Math in the Real-World." Students will find their assigned seats. Each seat will be marked with an index card.
Lesson (First Day Activities)
Watch "Got Math?" video at http://www.teachertube.com/video/got-math-3682
2. The teacher will introduce herself.
3. The class will brainstorm examples of math use in the "real world."
Watch "Real Life Math" video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtqlIVN9bh8
4. The teacher will pass out syllabus, read aloud, and explain.
5. The teacher will discuss class policies and procedures with a visual "tour" of the classroom.
-arrival and bellwork
-turning in homework/homework policy
-Super 6 for Math: pencil, pen, loose-leaf paper, math binder, composition book, calculator
-exit tickets and dismissal
-resource math tickets
-rules and expectations
6. Students will receive their math workbooks.These workbooks will be stored in the classroom.
7. Students will fill out information index cards.
Students will be asked to write one or more questions, comments, or concerns on an index card and turn them in as they exit the room.
Get the parent information form filled out.
Get syllabus signed by your parent or guardian.
Return both of these items tomorrow for a treat.
Get a math binder and 8 dividers.
Students will finish the "Real World Math" writing prompt paper distributed on Wednesday.
Lesson (More Rules, Routines, and Getting Acquainted Activities)
1. The teacher will continue to discuss rules, procedures and routines not covered on Wednesday.
2. The teacher will also introduce procedures for the following:
-borrowing other materials
-online tool: XtraMath
3. The teacher will take students on a quick "tour" of her teacher web page.
4. Students will take a "quick quiz" over the rules and routines. Students will use dry erase boards and markers to record their answers.
5. Students will receive their math workbooks (not done WED.).
6. Students will fill out index cards with their demographic information (not done WED.).
7. Students will participate in "Getting Acquainted Math Task Cards" activity.
Students will write one question, comment or concern (or more) on an index card and turn it in to the teacher as they exit class.
If you have not already done so, get your math syllabus signed and your parent information form filled out.
Show the XtraMath letter to your parents. Log into XtraMath and complete a lesson.
In your math journal, describe your first week in resource math class. What do you remember? What was your favorite part? What was your least favorite part?
1. Students will take a pretest over the 8th grade common core math vocabulary. The test will be read aloud and modified for all students in class.
2. Students will set up their math binder with dividers with step-by-step direction from the teacher.
Students will complete an exit ticket: "Describe 2-3 methods/strategies/activities that have helped you to learn new vocabulary words in any class in the past."
Log into XtraMath. Complete one lesson.